Eagle Creek in Fall Splendor

Eagle Creek in Fall Splendor

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Of Lemons and Curveballs - The beginning

So this year was supposed to be the year of the 50k for my 50th birthday. Life had other plans I guess.

In February I was well into my training for the Carmel Marathon and my BQ to return for one last run in Boston. After a nondescript long run with my son and an old roommate from college I noticed some knee discomfort. Didn't think much of it and went for my usual 7 mile run the next day. When I reached about 6.5 my knee was really bothering me and I managed to slow it down and get home. Later that day my knee swelled significantly and was a throbbing mess. I figured a few ibu's and a days rest would do the trick but not quite. Three days later it was still sore. Time to get some help.

Saw one of our local sports docs who didn't seem to think anything was torn so off to rehab which we started immediately.  I needed to get back out there. Boston was calling.

Day one of rehab found that my glutes on the left weren't firing and that I was so stiff in places Holly the PT wondered if I had rigermortis in place. This stiffness was pulling my kneecap over the ridges and not along which seemed to be the cause of the swelling. Now I had a solution that made sense,

I was provided a listing of ten exercises to help me get the glutes firing and gain some flexibility. I'm motivated and will do these without fail. I still can rescue this situation. We both agreed that light running would be ok so I would keep it under 4 while I got those glutes working.

I performed the PT and managed my short miles. The knee wasn't really wasn't responding. Strange.

Well there is more to come. What I want to do here is share my experience as a senior runner and perhaps this will help others with what I learned was more common than I thought.

So hang in there - the good stuff is coming.

No comments: